Saturday 28 September 2013

Rachel Allen's Gluten and Dairy Free Pecan Brownies

I made these Brownies a few weeks ago for a party we had for my auntie, who's coeliac. I couldn't put this post up before the party as it was a surprise. The party itself turned out to be a roaring success, all the food we made was gluten free and it was all delicious! 


Ingredients for these brownies are unusual, the amount of rice flour used is minimal and I was curious what they would turn out like.......


Ingredients and Measurements
125g Dark Chocolate
225g Soft Dark Brown Sugar
125ml Sunflower Oil
0.5tsp Vanilla Extract
2 Eggs
75g Ground Almonds
25g Rice Flour
0.5tsp Salt
0.5tsp Gluten Free Baking Powder
75g Chopped Pecans

Temperature
180 degrees Celcius

Cooking Time
45 minutes

This recipe is so easy! Everything is mixed together in one bowl so even the wash up is easy! Melting the chocolate is first up followed by adding all the wet ingredients and whisking together. Once these are well combined, fold in the dry ingredients until everything is mixed together.

The recipe says to take them out of the oven when "the middle of the cake wobbles slightly when you shake the tin and a skewer inserted into the centre should come out with a little moisture on it." Honestly, that scares me a bit as I was afraid to undercook them, so I 'technically' overcooked them. They turned out perfect and were sticky just as brownies should be. 

Leaving them out to cool before cutting, my sister suggested I dust them with icing sugar to make them look even better. I always think icing sugar gives a great 3D effect to the cakes on the plate so I didn't have to be persuaded too hard!


The Verdict

Dee-licious! Quite a nutty flavour off these brownies, not surprising as most of their ingredients are nuts! The plate was virtually licked clean and there was not a single brownie left. All the family commented on how delicious they were and my auntie was delighted to be able to indulge and not have to hold back on all the tasty treats!

1 comment:

  1. I've made the recipe twice and each time it was a failure! It didn't rise and didn't fill the tin, ended up a chocolate biscuit - HELP!

    ReplyDelete